School Logo

St Mary's C of E Primary School

Credenhill, Hereford

Get in touch

IMPORTANT - Letter re Delayed Opening - 01 June 2020


Dear Parents and Carers,

Re phased return of Reception, Year 1 and Year 6

I hope that you are all keeping safe and well and that the children have been able to enjoy some of the lovely weather over half term.

I am writing further to my recent letter which advised that further to the government’s  request that schools start to plan for the phased re opening of schools we were aiming to reopen on the 8th June to Year R, 1 and 6.

Following many discussions with the senior leadership team and discussions with Governors regarding the planned reopening of the school I have had to take the agonising decision to delay opening to the eligible children in year R, Year 1 and Year 6 for a further week (week beginning 15th June).

As I am sure you will appreciate this has not been an easy decision to make but at the root of all decisions made is the overwhelming desire to keep all members of our community safe.

Please note that this does not affect our provision for current key worker childcare provision.

There are a number of factors which have contributed to this difficult decision:

Track and Trace has only just begun to be implemented and as such we do not feel confident that it is yet ready to be used confidently enough to support our school community safely in Herefordshire. As a school leader I have a duty of care for all members of our school community and in such unprecedented circumstances I cannot take that risk with people’s health.

The findings of the SAGE group (please see link below) clearly states that,

 Test, trace and isolate: local coordination
The government should focus on building local public health capacity to identify, test, treat and isolate every case, and to trace and quarantine contacts. This requires building capability within local communities.’

As we know this was only implemented yesterday and we need to ensure that members of our community are confident in using it particularly bearing in mind the teething problems it encountered.

In addition to the above the SAGE report has suggested that the risk of possible infection would reduce considerably by waiting until 15th June.

I also understand that many Herefordshire Schools have taken this same decision.

I appreciate that this may be disappointing to the children who are looking forward to seeing their friends once again but for the sake of waiting another week we feel the safety benefits to be reaped as a result are too many to ignore.  I would remind you that even if we return on the 15th school will look very different, with children in small groups, and this change is likely to last for the rest of the summer term.

We shall of course continue with our on line learning provision and I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for the many compliments my team have had in this respect.

I hope to be able to give confirmation of the above date provided that all safety measures referred to in my previous letter have been met by government. Please remember that should you decide to keep your child at home there will be no penalties or fines imposed.

In the meantime we are here so please don’t hesitate to contact us.

Take care and stay safe.


Kind regards,

Mrs B Davies

Executive Head Teacher