Autumn - 2019
This term we will focus on: place value, perfecting our arithmetic, fractions and in geometry we will learn about position and direction. Lessons will have an emphasis on reasoning and problem solving and children will get weekly mathematics homework. We use some great sites in school called Sumdog and Mathspad. Please encourage them to go on and explore whenever they can.
It is vital that children know their timestables in Year 6 and we will be doing lots of practise in class. Please can you also practise at home as this will give them a head start in lessons. There are lots of websites and apps that can help; I have put some on our class home page to get you started. If you have forgotten how to multiply and divide please look at the videos at the bottom of the page for a reminder
Spring - 2020
This half term we will be learning to:
- Read, write, order and compare decimal numbers
- Round any whole number to a required degree of accuracy.
- - Multiply simple proper fractions and simplify the answer (e.g. ¼ x ⅟₂ = ⅟₈). Divide proper fractions by whole numbers (e.g. ⅓ ÷ 2 = ⅙). Algebra
- - Express missing number problems algebraically. Use simple formulae expressed in words.Measure
- Solve problems involving the calculation and conversion of units of measure, using decimal notation up to three decimal places where appropriate.
- Convert between miles and km.
- Calculate the area of parallelograms and triangles.
- Recognise when it is possible to use formulae for area and volume of shapes.
- Recognise, describe and build simple 3-D shapes, including making nets.
Ruby,Lucy and Charlotte
This term we will be learning to:
- Read and interpret line graphs
- Draw line graphs
- Use line graphs to solve problems
- Pie charts with percentages
- Draw pie charts
- Understand the mean
- Draw and understand the vocabulary related to circles
- Construct 2d and 3d shapes
Problem solving and investigations
- Use all 4 operations to solve problems
- investigate using a variety of mathematics learnt