Safeguarding and Promoting the Welfare of Children
Safeguarding is a term which encompasses child protection and relates to actions taken to promote the welfare of children and protect them from harm.
Safeguarding is everyone’s responsibility and is defined in the statutory guidance Working Together to Safeguard Children 2015 (see policies below) as:-
- protecting children from maltreatment,
- preventing impairment of children’s health and development,
- ensuring that children grow up in circumstances consistent with the provision of safe and effective care and
- taking action to enable all children to have the best outcomes.
We believe that our school should provide a caring, positive, stimulating and safe environment which promotes the welfare and social, physical and moral development of the individual child. The health, safety and well-being of all our pupils are of paramount importance to everyone who works in St Mary's and all children have the right to protection from harm, regardless of age, gender, race, culture or disability.
Having safeguards in place within our school not only protects and promotes the welfare of children but also it enhances the confidence of governors, staff, volunteers and parents/carers. These safeguards include our Safeguarding & Child Protection Policy as well as procedures for dealing with issues of concern or abuse.
Our safeguarding procedures are also reflected in other school policies. If you would like a copy of any of these policies please contact the school office.
Sometimes we may need to share information and work in partnership with other agencies when there are concerns about a child’s welfare. We will ensure that our concerns about our pupils are discussed with his/her parents/carers first unless we have reason to believe that such a move would be contrary to the child’s welfare.
We actively support the Government's Prevent Agenda to counter radicalism and extremism.
Our Designated Safeguarding Lead (DSL) and Deputy Designated Safeguarding Leads (DDSL) are:
- Mrs Bernie Davies (Executive Headteacher) DSL
- Mrs Kimberley Jones (Deputy Headteacher) DDSL
- Mr Mike Wilkinson (Governor Safeguarding Lead )
- Mr. John Tolson (Health & Safety Lead)