Welcome to our Art page!
Art is a subject which is enjoyed by all pupils here at St Mary's all they way through from Reception to Year 6. It is taught in many fun and imaginative ways and will often link with cross curricular topics.
Our children learn different techniques and have the opportunity to explore different media.
Here are a few examples:
- Collage- Investigating media and creating pictures.
- Drawing- Self portraits, observational drawing and sketching.
- Painting- Exploring and mixing colours, using water colours and creating landscapes.
- Textiles- Weaving and Batik.
- Printing- Making and using block and screen prints.
- Sculpture- Using different media, such as junk materials and clay.
We are very conscious of our environment at St Mary's and explore and create using recycled and natural materials as well as mixed media. The children also have the opportunity to create pictures and animations using ICT equipment.
Throughout the school children learn about famous artists and the techniques/ skills they use, we will then create pieces of art inspired by that particular style. Some artists we learn about include Matisse, Paul Klee, Kandinsky, Gisueppe Arcimboldo, William Morris, Andy Goldsworthy, and Van Gogh.
We are sometimes lucky enough to have local artists visiting our school for a day of fun creativity- exploring and learning new skills.
We provide an after school art club for both KS1 and KS2, this is very popular and an opportunity for children to create more materpieces!
In November 2011 we had an 'Art Ofsted'. We were very pleased with the results, the full report in just below.
If you would like to know anymore about our Art curriculum please see Mrs Fosbery or Mrs Pullen (Art coordinators)